Ang: Re: Textfile into oracle

From: <Roland.Skoldblom_at_ica.se>
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 06:27:59 -0800

Could anyone please give me an example on how the sqlloader script would look like , How many fields would it be,? I cant find anything ofthis in themanual. I have 100 fields in the excel file but only 9-10 field names...

Thanks in advance

Roland

"Alexandre Gorbatchev" <alexandre.gorbatchev_at_avermann.de>@fatcity.com den 2002-06-06 03:03 PST

Sänd svar till ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

Sänt av: root_at_fatcity.com

Till: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Kopia:

Hello Roland,

The easiest way is to save it from excel as flat comma-separated text file. Then you should use Oracle SQL*Loader tool and yes you will have to pre-create the table with all fields you need. (99,9% that's what you need)

You cannot import .xls file into Oracle database directly with standard oracle tools. I mean with structure, not into the lob filed.

You could access file from PL/SQL and write your own import procedure. (not a trivial task and not feasible probably :-) Can use odbc from Excel directly.
May be there are some third-party tools to import.

Alexandre

> Hallo,
>
> I have this excelfile. Is it possible to import this into an oracle table.
This file is supposed to be located on unix machine from the beginning and the import into an oracle table would be done from unix. How should I name the fields in the oracle
> table. I mean should I use the 9-10 different field names in the
excelfile. There is at least 100 different columns in this excelfile. Is it possible to import a file like that into oracle table,

Author: Alexandre Gorbatchev
  INET: alexandre.gorbatchev_at_avermann.de

  INET: Roland.Skoldblom_at_ica.se