RE: char vs. varchar in a data warehouse

From: Madhavan Amruthur <mad5698_at_fastmail.fm>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 14:48:22 -0800

Hi,
I am sure u probably know this already a leading null value column will take up a byte and like in the second case where the first column is null and the second column has a value the av row length is increased by 1 as the null takes up a byte. If the first col had a value and the second column had a null, then only the first one would have been stored. So its a good practice to put the columns with frequnet nulls at the end of the table so that it will decrease the ave row length and increase the data density.

Regards,
Madhavan

--
Madhavan Amruthur