Re: Re:RE: Oracle and Tru64

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 06:53:25 -0800

I had seen Ultrix only at the institute where I was learning computers. I agree -- nobody should have bought Ultrix. But to put Tru64 on Alpha in the same class as Ultrix is *big* mistake.
Tru64 and Alpha is a winning combination -- on par with HPUX on PA-RISC, it not better. The problem was that the Alpha processor was priced so high, few people would buy it and, therefore, Digital could never achieve economies of scale.

Hemant K Chitale

> Peter,
>
> Please allow me to disagree. I came from the USAF with a very deep
love for
> DEC hardware and software (VAX/VMS), only to be VERY disappointed by them
when I
> was presented with DEC Ultrix. Their straying into the Unix world was a
real
> nightmare. First off their sales folks over sold the capabilities of the
> 5000/240 workstation. A database server it was not. Ultrix was a failure
right
> out of the gate. That monster combination was a guarantee that I would
get a
> page every night that it was here and the server a re-boot. It finally
took me
> three years to get a Ultrix tech to admit that they had not implemented a
> TCP_KEEP_ALIVE capability into Ultrix and that I would never see it. At
that
> time the only path was to upgrade to an Alpha with OSF-1 which was
crashing on a
> daily basis. Oracle back then recommended a cold backup of the database
twice a
> day. One of the soccer dads whose's daughter was on the same team as mine
was a
> DEC/Compaq employee. His recommendation was to stay away from OSF at all
costs.
> He was one of the lucky ones when Compaq sold off the CASE tools
operation. Oh
> how I would have loved moving back onto a VAX, but DEC was not interested
in
> that platform any more and HP's 9000 platform was not only cheaper to
acquire
> and support, but faster and more capable as well. We benchmarked a DEC
Ultrix
> box specifically tailored by DEC to database work against an HP9000 that
'just
> happen to between owners'. The DEC was a multi processor unit, stuffed
with
> every bite of RAM it could hold, multi scsi ports with load balancing on
their
> (at that time) best disk system and a custom Oracle install with a highly
tuned
> (by DEC engineers) Ultrix kernel. We passed then a dmp file with 1
million rows
> of data for two tables and 4 SQL scripts to run against the data. Took
them all
> day to get the results. Did the same test with the HP that had minimal
RAM, one

Author: Hemant K Chitale
  INET: hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg