How to model DBA_SEGMENTS for trend analysis?

From: Thomas Jeff <ThomasJe_at_tce.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 06:08:23 -0800

This is rather a simplistic question, but how would you model the DBA_SEGMENTS table
for trend analysis purposes? Simply duplicate the table and add a TIMESTAMP (which
is what I wanted to do.)

Even though it's *my* project, my boss, insists on being the DA, is adamant that all
trend tables include 'natural, complete' business keys. If you follow this logic with
respect to DBA_SEGMENTS, you then run into a problem with a PK including PART_NAME which
is going to be null for most records in the table, but is necessary to enforce uniqueness.
So, not liking this, he then gets the idea that partitions are nothing more then 'sub-segments'
with a a 'parent segment' and now wants to see a segments trend table with a self-referencing
relationship, PARENT_SEGMENT_NAME, and so forth.

I've argued up and down and all around, and of course, my boss, being the typical, stubborn,
old fart Sr DBA, refuses to listen.

So, I'm just wondering how you trap DBA_SEGMENTS info at your site.

Thanks.

Jeffery D Thomas
DBA
Thomson Information Services
Thomson multimedia Inc.

Email: thomasje_at_tce.com

Indy DBA Master Documentation available at: http://gkmqp.tce.com/tis_dba
Select 'Indy DBA' then 'DBA Web Pages'

Author: Thomas Jeff
  INET: ThomasJe_at_tce.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jun 05 2002 - 09:08:23 CDT