select 'RTF*ing sql product comparison on windows 2000' "RTFSPCOW" from dual;

From: Eric D. Pierce <PierceED_at_csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 19:03:39 -0800

for those that are always asking for sql product comparisons, see below.

(sorry if this was already posted, or everyone knows it already, and i just wasn't paying any attention.)

---excerpt---

http://www.eweek.com/article/0,3658,s=708&a=23115,00.asp

( ftp://ftp.eweek.com/pub/eweek/pdf/printpub/benchmark/dbbenchmark_v1.zip )

> [...]
> slightly ahead of MySQL for most of the run. ASE, DB2, Oracle9i and
> MySQL finished in a dead heat up to about 550 Web users. At this
> point, ASE's performance leveled off at 500 pages per second, about 100
> pages per second less than Oracle9i's and MySQL's leveling-off point
> of about 600 pages per second. DB2's performance dropped substantially,
> leveling off at 200 pages per second under high loads.
>
> Due to its significant JDBC (Java Database Connectivity) driver
> problems, SQL Server was limited to about 200 pages per second for the
> entire test.

> As an extra data point, we also rewrote the benchmark in ASP .Net and,
> due to time constraints, tested just SQL Server on this platform. We
> stress that the results of this test are not comparable to the Java
> benchmark results because the ASP .Net test used a different Web
> server (Internet Information Services 5.0), different application
> engine (ASP .Net) and different database driver (OLE DB).
>
> However, our results do provide evidence that this all-Microsoft
> software stack can produce excellent performance, peaking at just
> under 870 pages per second (see charts, images 3 and 4 in slideshow).

> Drivers the untold story
>
> To our surprise, database connectivity drivers proved to be the
> biggest source of problems.
>
> Of the five databases we tested, only Oracle9i and MySQL were able to
> run our Nile application as originally written for 8 hours without
> problems. DB2's JDBC driver doesn't support updatable result sets (a
> JDBC 2.0 feature), so we had to open all result sets using the
> CONCUR_READ_ONLY attribute (the only attribute the IBM driver would
> accept) and do updates using SQL update statements. With this change,
> we could run the application. IBM's driver then also made it through
> our 8-hour stability test.
>
> With Sybase's JConnect 5.5 driver, we discovered that when
> applications request result sets that have bidirectional cursors,
> JConnect stores the entire result set in client memory to speed
> subsequent cursor repositioning commands. (We were using bidirectional
> cursors to let users page forward and back through the list of books
> that matched their search criteria.)

> Out of all the drivers we used, Microsoft's new JDBC driver had the
> most problems. It's still a beta driver in the form distributed on
> Microsoft's Web site, but it's not a new product per se, because it's
> based on code licensed from DataDirect Technologies Inc., which has
> had the leading third-party SQL Server JDBC driver for some years now.
>
> Providing and supporting its own JDBC driver is a very welcome move,
> and Microsoft officials informed us last month that they had 70,000
> downloads of the driver so far, so there is considerable customer
> interest in it. However, the driver, in both Beta 1 and Beta 2 forms
> (we tested both), has serious performance and stability problems.

---end---

On 4 Jun 2002 at 2:05, Oracle RDBMS Community Forum <ORACLEL @fatcity.com> wrote:

Date sent:      	Tue, 04 Jun 2002 02:05:26 -0800
To:             	Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
Send reply to:  	ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

Author: Eric D. Pierce
  INET: PierceED_at_csus.edu