RE: Production Database Open Fails after Mount

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 17:18:26 -0800

Vivek,

Just to add a simple way of determining the extent of overflow, you could use the sar -v command. This will also display other OS counters as well.

00:00:02 proc-sz ov inod-sz ov file-sz ov lock-sz 00:20:02 435/2580 0 4641/8816 0 7593/16884 0 25/33168

In fact, I would first check this out before adding a new database on any server, and use the SHM-modifications-reboot to change these as well.

As per my understanding, Solaris defines an upper limit for these values, but doesn't allocate space until required, so you are Ok to define larger values without bulking up OS memory requirements. Anyone knows what happens in HP-UX?

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DB Soft Inc
Work : (408) 970 7002