Re:RE: Oracle and Tru64

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 10:09:24 -0800

Peter,

    Please allow me to disagree. I came from the USAF with a very deep love for DEC hardware and software (VAX/VMS), only to be VERY disappointed by them when I was presented with DEC Ultrix. Their straying into the Unix world was a real nightmare. First off their sales folks over sold the capabilities of the 5000/240 workstation. A database server it was not. Ultrix was a failure right out of the gate. That monster combination was a guarantee that I would get a page every night that it was here and the server a re-boot. It finally took me three years to get a Ultrix tech to admit that they had not implemented a TCP_KEEP_ALIVE capability into Ultrix and that I would never see it. At that time the only path was to upgrade to an Alpha with OSF-1 which was crashing on a daily basis. Oracle back then recommended a cold backup of the database twice a day. One of the soccer dads whose's daughter was on the same team as mine was a DEC/Compaq employee. His recommendation was to stay away from OSF at all costs.  He was one of the lucky ones when Compaq sold off the CASE tools operation. Oh how I would have loved moving back onto a VAX, but DEC was not interested in that platform any more and HP's 9000 platform was not only cheaper to acquire and support, but faster and more capable as well. We benchmarked a DEC Ultrix box specifically tailored by DEC to database work against an HP9000 that 'just happen to between owners'. The DEC was a multi processor unit, stuffed with every bite of RAM it could hold, multi scsi ports with load balancing on their (at that time) best disk system and a custom Oracle install with a highly tuned (by DEC engineers) Ultrix kernel. We passed then a dmp file with 1 million rows of data for two tables and 4 SQL scripts to run against the data. Took them all day to get the results. Did the same test with the HP that had minimal RAM, one scsi port and only the internal drives and a default Oracle install and only that tweaking of the HP kernel in Oracle's install manual. Same test ran in 4.5 hours hands down. I left DEC behind at that time, never to return. As of today, I love the HP's I have to work with. I do not believe them to be outclassed anywhere and that they do outclass all in terms of reliability and dependability. I must admit to really enjoying a server platform that does it's job day in and day out for months or years without so much as a burp. I'm sure that part of that are three very good SA's, but the hardware/OS speaks for itself as well.

    I did not shed one tear when DEC fell to Compaq, and will not now that Compaq is falling to HP. I am sure that the good of DEC/Compaq will find it's way into HP-UX as well as the HP9000 series. So we've only good things to look forward to.

Dick Goulet

Author: Peter Barnett <regdba_at_yahoo.com>
Date:       6/4/2002 8:08 AM

It's a shame that Digital had such good computer scientists and such lousy marketing. Digital Unix and the AlphaServer were the most stable Unix boxes in the world. Compaq never did understand the gem it purchased and HP will never admit that their current generation of hardware was outclassed by Digital 10 years ago.

All good runs must come to an end. It is just too bad that the end is an execution by technical nitwits.

Pete Barnett
Lead Database Administrator
The Regence Group
pnbarne_at_regence.com