Re: Oracle and Tru64

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 08:34:20 -0800

  1. Per Oracle's Platform Strategy Advisory [last updated 28-May-02], Tru64 Unix will continue to be Supported.
  2. Per Compaq at http://www.compaq.com/hps/download/Tru64UNIX_OpenVMS_Times_Rev2_052202.pdf from http://www.compaq.com/hps/commitment.html
  3. HP plans to sell AlphaServers till at least 2006 and support till at least 2011.
  4. Tru64Unix will sell till at least 2006 and support till at least 2011 [of course, it will be renamed as "hp Tru64 Unix"].
  5. Tru64 features will start appearing in HPUX from 11.23 in 2003 and HPUX with TruCluster and ADVFS in 2004.
  6. Tru64Unix will NOT be ported to Itanium. It will be HPUX that will go to Itanium.

The years 2006 and 2011 are sufficiently far in the future :>

Hemant K Chitale

Stephane, Hemant
Below is the official word that I pulled off HP's website. It is straight PR material, so read between the words as you choose. As I recall, Compaq had already decided not to build the next-generation Alpha chip before the merger arose. If you are interested, I would suggest that you attend the HP roadshow when it comes to a city near you and ask them the hard questions yourself. Having worked for a computer manufacturer in the past, I can assure you that the manufacturer would appreciate it if you bought the last system to come off the production line, then never called them for support. My company plans to continue operating our Tru64 systems for several years to come, and they have provided wonderful service. But we're purchasing new Sun systems.

"In this session, an HP Executive will highlight the important current and future role HP's business critical and high performance AlphaServer(tm) products play. We will also discuss the latest advancements across the hp AlphaServer product family, the latest on the future Itanium® processor family, and provide an update on the related operating systems strategy. In particular, we will share the updated OpenVMS(tm) roadmap for continued development and support on the AlphaServer platform as well as a review of the progress to date for porting OpenVMS to Itanium®-based systems. Discussion will also include the most up-to-the-minute plans for integrating Tru64(tm) UNIX® into HP-UX on the Itanium® architecture and the continued development and support of Tru64 UNIX on the AlphaServer platform."

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com