Re: Urgent: Retrieving Disk Space

From: Alexandre Gorbatchev <alexandre.gorbatchev_at_avermann.de>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 03:04:17 -0800

> I mentioned these files to know if any of these can be deleted/copied
> elsewhere safely?

You MUST move you archive redo logs if you want your database to be recoverable. You need them if you make backups at all. Anyway you should periodically clean up the space for your archive redo logs, or else your database will hang somewhen because oracle will not be able to write log info. If you dont backup, then disable archivelog mode.(I should say: then backup :), but be sure you understand consequences. You should not delete control files and redo log files, of course.

> How do I check upon the reason of failure of a particular query? The
> developer recalls that the message was something like low disc space.
If you have SQL_TRACE parameter enabled for the whole database, see the .trc files in the directory set by USER_DUMP_DEST parameter. If not, than your developer probably didn't enabled it for the session as well and you canot see exact error message. Probably, as been told before, server couldn't extend datafile of system tablespace.

Almost 100% sure, you problem has just been described by several people anwering here. Take the precautitions adviced.

--
Alexandre

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Alexandre Gorbatchev INET: alexandre.gorbatchev_at_avermann.de Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).