Re: Upgrade Question

From: Suzy Vordos <lvordos_at_qwest.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 16:48:21 -0800

The oratab doesn't look right to me. The second token should have the full path to ORACLE_HOME for each version. Unless of course Oracle is *really* installed under /u01/app/oracle instead of /u01/app/oracle/8.1.6, in which case that doesn't follow OFA standards.

STAR:/u01/app/oracle/8.1.6:Y

The Y or N says whether to start/shutdown the database when dbstart/dbshut are executed.

Installing software of patches is driven by oraInst.loc and proper setting of dependent env variables ORACLE_BASE, ORACLE_ADMIN and ORACLE_HOME. Is it possible one or more env variables isn't set? Here's an example of what is needed (the actual values would differ for your environment).

ORACLE_BASE=/opt/app/oracle
ORACLE_ADMIN=/opt/app/oracle/admin
ORACLE_HOME=/opt/app/oracle/product/8.1.7

Note that ORACLE_BASE is generally where the orainventory resides (which should also match the value of inventory_loc in the /var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc file). Under ORACLE_BASE you should see the following directories: jre OraInventory oui product.

Author: Suzy Vordos
  INET: lvordos_at_qwest.com