RE: Upgrade Question

From: kkennedy <kkennedy_at_firstpoint.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 15:38:21 -0800

Hello Hamid,

I don't think your problem with the patch has anything to do with the oratab file. I had an identical problem upgrading a server from 8.1.7.0 to 8.1.7.3 where the installer insisted that no patch was needed. I had this happen on two different servers.

In my case, predecessors had installed 8.1.7.0 on one machine then copied the Oracle home to the other servers using different software mount points on each machine. I'm not sure why they attempted this approach but I am sure that they did not have sufficient knowledge. I tried manually copying and modifying the oraInst.loc file and the oraInventory directory but nothing helped with the patch problem.

Eventually, I bit the bullet and did a fresh install of 8.1.7.0 on each of these servers. After the fresh install, the 8.1.7.3 patch worked perfectly. This would be my advice to you.

Kevin Kennedy
First Point Energy Corporation

Author: Hamid Alavi
  INET: hamid.alavi_at_quovadx.com