Functions

From: <Sherrie.Kubis_at_swfwmd.state.fl.us>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 05:13:19 -0800

Hello all. I am seeking opinions of experienced database folks on this issue:

I am implementing a replication environment between IBM DB2 and UNIX Oracle using DataMirror's Transformation Server (TS) product. TS replicates and transforms data between disparate databases. (Right now I am using Oracle's
snapshot with Transparent Gateway to do this, but must do a total refresh each
night. Using TS gives me net change.) One requirement for a simple transformation
of data is to convert the columns LATITUDE NUMBER(8,2) into LATDEG NUMBER, LATMIN NUMBER and LATSEC NUMBER. At the onset of this product I planned to us TS to perform the translation. I have this working just fine.

Our DB2 and Oracle groups are 'culturally' different in their thinking. The DB2 DBA
is pushing to create a DB2 user-defined function that accepts the LATITUDE value
and returns the three LATDEG LATMIN and LATSEC values, rather than use TS. At
this point it is unclear to me on the reasoning for this. However, my reasons for wanting
to do this function within my tool are:

  1. Easier administration. By keeping all replication processes within one area, it is easier to support.
  2. The DEG, MIN and SEC columns are ultimately used on the Oracle side. Seems unnecessary to put more into the DB2 side when we're moving to the direction of Oracle.

I'd like to say performance is a reason, but I'm not sure this is a valid reason. Seems that
using a DB2 function or TS derived expression in terms of performance will be comparable.

Do you have any insights or thoughts to share that may help me in this decision?
My appreciation in advance.

Sherrie Kubis
Southwest Florida Water Management District 2379 Broad Street
Brooksville FL 34604-6899

Phone: (352) 796-7211, Ext. 4033
Fax: (352) 754-6776
Email: Mailto:Sherrie.Kubis_at_swfwmd.state.fl.us

  INET: Sherrie.Kubis_at_swfwmd.state.fl.us

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Jun 03 2002 - 08:13:19 CDT