RE: MySQL versus Oracle

From: Orr, Steve <sorr_at_rightnow.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 14:14:20 -0800

> It uses more or less standard SQL

It's still far from ANSI compliant. The biggest criticism/complaint from the user community is the lack of subqueries (or "subselects" in MySQL jargon). They say it's the highest priority enhancement. They said it would be implemented in version 3.5X. Then they said it would be in 4.0 which is not ready for production until this fall and will be almost a year behind schedule. Now they're saying it will be in 4.1 which at this rate will be the end of next year. Meanwhile, their manual states that they plan to be ANSI92 and ANSI99 compliant but they don't give any dates. But it's the fastest growing database so someday they may be standards compliant.

Author: Orr, Steve
  INET: sorr_at_rightnow.com