RE: Veritas Quick io

From: Arun Chakrapani <ArunC_at_1800FLOWERS.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 12:59:36 -0800

we are using the quick I/O and as well as cached quik I/O also. I had configured this a quite long time ago I have forgotten about temp files issues which u people are talking about. But We did have issues by just using quick I/O cause it acts like a cooked raw file system and hence is write intensive but not read intensive this screws up ur database or u will see lot of sequential reads due to this which at one time brought our database to its knees, This caching can be done online also even when the database is running.Once we enabled cached we were able to breadth. u can cache each file itself or the whole file system. the monitoring io can been done thro qiostat which will tell u about the i/o being performed.
I can say if u are implementing this on oltp better use cached i/o or one more way where i was reading some where was to increase ur sga to a good amount( which i would not recommend).
i have seen the performance improvement to around 30 to 40%. But after this i started seeing file open event very heavily i even asked on this issue to steve adams once

Author: Arun Chakrapani
  INET: ArunC_at_1800FLOWERS.com