RE: rebuilding indexes

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 11:32:02 -0800

Mathew,
  There has to be something that changed in the index or the storage parameters. The index storage is basically based on the database block size, the pctfree, the average length of the index entry, and the number of rows in the index. If you changed none of these the index should remain the same.
You said that each extend is 65 - 8K blocks and the increase was 5 extents. that's 2720 K of additional storage for the indexes. That is a lot of rows of data to be indexing.
 Are you sure that the information is correct? Did the 20 extent number come from old records and there were a lot of additions to the data?  DID you analyze the indexes to create the extra space used? Ron
ROR mª¿ªm

>>> wisernet100_at_yahoo.com 05/31/02 02:11PM >>> then the only thing I can think of is that there was heavy activity on the index prior to the rebuild and the blocks filled and the rebuild evened it out.

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com