Re: MySQL versus Oracle

From: Tim Bunce <Tim.Bunce_at_pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 10:54:16 -0800

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 08:40:51AM -0800, Gogala, Mladen wrote:
> I read few articles in Linux magazine and had it installed on
> my box for a while and here are my impressions:
>
> a) It's blindingly fast as a single user database, faster then oracle.
> b) It uses more or less standard SQL minus all the unnecessary functions
> like substr, decode, nvl and alike which nobody ever uses anyway (evil grin).

It has all those (some under different names) and more.

> c) It's small. You can have both software and a small database within 150M
> d) I didn't learn how to do recovery. It doesn't have hot backups. You have to
> shut it down to make a sensible backup.

There's a mysqlhotcopy script (I wrote myself) and there's now a BACKUP command in SQL.

> e) It's easy to configure and doesn't have too many things to set up.
>
> Allegedly, the present version (I did my dirty work back in August 2001) can
> use Perl as a scripting language, I don't know whether DBI/DBD is needed for
> that and it can cope with committs and rollbacks.

There is a Perl DBI driver for MySQL and yes, it supports transactions (MySQL supports multiple table types, some of which support transactions).

MySQL is a fast moving target. August 2001 is a long time ago in it's history.

For example, the InnoDB table type now supports foreign keys.

Tim.

Author: Tim Bunce
  INET: Tim.Bunce_at_pobox.com