Re: Wait time for "SQL*Net message"

From: Danisment Gazi Unal (ubTools) <dunal_at_ubTools.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 12:07:47 -0800

Hi,

I always see "SQL*Net message from client" as a problem if I see "SQL*Net message to client" is a problem. Of course, this can not be a rule, but may be useful in practice to start a performance analysis.

In your case "SQL*Net message to client" is 5.30 seconds. It's too low for your case. But your "SQL*Net more data to client" is 323.88 seconds = 5.398 minutes. Although it looks like a problem, I think it's a consequence. Of course you can tune your array operations to client. But, important thing here is that if you need to send many SQL*Net packets to client ??? I mean do you need to process many Oracle blocks. If you can reduce number of Oracle blocks processed by you, this will reduce both "SQL*Net more data to client" and "CPU used by this session".

Important thing in your statistics is that your "CPU used by this session" is 2293.27 seconds= 38 minutes. What was the interval of your observation ? how many CPU have you got ? is there a bottleneck in CPU ?

Bottlenecks in CPU causes distorted Oracle wait measurements. Some of time are missed, some of time are assigned to Oracle wait events. As a result Oracle waits may become overvalued. There is a sample in my paper MRRP (not published yet). In this sample, "buffer busy waits" is measured 260.54 seconds by Oracle, but it was 112.03 seconds in practice. That means 57% of "buffer busy waits" is measured wrong by Oracle because of a bottleneck in CPU.

regards...
danisment
http://www.ubtools.com

S B wrote:

> The following statistics is for a
> server-side application ( pro*c ). The connection is
> established between proc*c to server as "LOCAl=yes
> and PROTOCOL=BEQ(sqlplus usr/pass) i.e bypassing the
> tnsnames.ora and listener.ora
>
> Event Wait(cs) %wait
> SQL*Net message from client 463790 61.85186173
> CPU used by this session 229327 30.5834578
> SQL*Net more data to client 32388 4.319321455
> db file sequential read 21698 2.893683986
> log file sync 1788 0.23845087
> SQL*Net message to client 530 0.070681745
> log file switch completion 188 0.025072015
>
> Can anyone tell me about how to reduce the wait time
> for "SQL*Net message"
>
> TIA
> Bhulu

> http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com