RE: Jr.DBA, Mid level DBA, Sr.DBA

From: Rachel Carmichael <wisernet100_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 12:07:46 -0800

by your definition I would say no one is a senior dba...

there is too much in Oracle for one person to know it all, so every DBA, no matter how experienced, is going to ask for help if they are facing something new. I wouldn't say asking for help means you aren't senior.

I consider people like Cary, Gaja, Tim, Steve, etc etc (all the Oak Table members) as well as a large number of people on this list as senior. Yet I also see them asking questions on occasion. One doesn't wipe out the other

Senior DBA to me is a DBA who can not just research the docs and websites but who is able to THINK. This means putting together varied and assorted pieces of seemingly unrelated information to solve a problem. The ability to see a larger picture and to understand it.

Rachel

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
Author: Rachel Carmichael