RE: So, What is a 'Production DBA'?

From: <Kip.Bryant_at_Vishay.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 09:57:04 -0800

I know I'm probably going to regret replying to this thread. I'm one of those people who spent years as a programmer...and wound up somewhere in between applications and tech support because I couldn't get the tech support I needed. When we got "SAP'd" in '93, I finally gave in to becoming a so-called "DBA" to keep the legacy systems running (not Oracle based) AND keep the SAP project afloat. So I'm probably one of those SAP "babysitters." I would love to be able to hire a "development" or "applications" DBA (we also have non-SAP Oracle databases) but the skill set I need in an individual to actually reduce my work load is much broader than the typical Oracle "development" or "applications" person. I know there can be exceptions, of course, but I haven't found "development" or "applications" people to be too concerned about the context in which a database lives let alone know what IT auditors would be looking for. I mean, the role I play doesn't seem to have any technical boundaries because, again, anything that can impact the application (be it SAN, OS, network, presentation layer, security, hardware, maybe even Sun spots...) is of concern to me. On the other hand, a DBA without an understanding of the demands put on developer/applications people is a problem, too.

Or maybe I needed to whine a bit because I've been up at 2am and 5am a couple of days in a row.

Sleepless in California,
Kip Bryant