RE: how to changes the sequence no for the redologs

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 09:08:32 -0800

Dennis,
 I beg to differ with you on this issue.  To keep the naming convention simple for the logs and to be able to differentiate between different instances logs, you may have to use 4 characters plus the sequence number for the log name. as an example PRDA+seq.log and PRDB+seq.log. If the OS does NOT allow long names the logger will halt after the sequence 9999. It would be nice to just "reset the logs" to 0001 and move along its merry way. I learned this fact this weekend when the logs reached 9999 on a Novell os (admin stated that the long names was enabled). I had to change the log naming convention to PRA+seq.log and the problem was corrected. Now I monitor the log sequence closely and will rename again if needed.
Ron
ROR mô¿ôm

>>> DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM 05/29/02 06:28PM >>> Sarath - Only an incomplete recovery resets the logs, whether you are on
Oracle 7 or Oracle 8i. Essentially you pay the big license fees to Oracle to
prevent that from occurring any more than it possibly needs to. I'm not sure
why you want the sequence reset. Just for neatness? You have many years
before the sequence is exhausted. Be patient, your life as a DBA isn't likely to always be this boring.
Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: sarath kumar
  INET: sarath_kumar0_at_yahoo.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

Author: Ron Rogers
  INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu May 30 2002 - 12:08:32 CDT