RE: _tru64_directio_disabled param Value on Digital Tru64 Unix

From: <Srini.Chavali_at_Cummins.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 10:26:15 -0800

Quote from a person who has had researched this thoroughly at our site -

"Oracle 8.1.6 and later releases check to see if they are running on Tru64 5.0a or later operating system revision. If so, the RDBMS automatically uses the directio mode to open the database files.

Directio bypasses the operating system (ADVFS file system) caching and is more efficient; however, ADVFS does not cache any data or pre-fetch read data. For single block random reads directio is a performance improvement--there is less O/S overhead and Oracle does a good job of managing the buffer cache. However, Oracle does not hold multiple block reads in its cache, so if your workload involves a large number of multi-block reads directio is a performance detriment. The blocks are not cached, so re-reads require physical I/O for each read, and Oracle does not pre-fetch data as ADVFS does, so the application incurs more I/O wait.

Also, any subsequent access after a file is opened in directio mode inherits the directio mode. This may impact other applications reading the files outside of the database activity--for example backup.

In our experience using the Oracle Applications (ERP) suite, overall performance was better with directio disabled.

By default directio is enabled if running 8.1.6 or later and Tru64 5.0a or later. The flag to disable was introduced in 8.1.7.2, I believe. We were told not to run 8.1.7.2 on Tru64 (buggy), so we have implemented 8.1.7.3.

The default operating mode is:

_tru64_directio_disabled = FALSE

This enables directio. If you set it TRUE, then the RDBMS I/O will function as it did before--using normal I/O. There is not a lot of risk in changing this option, and directio may prove to be advantageous for a heavy OLTP environment. I would recommend testing outside of Production if at all possible.

Bill"

HTH Srini Chavali
Oracle DBA
Cummins Inc

  INET: Srini.Chavali_at_Cummins.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed May 29 2002 - 13:26:15 CDT