RE: Legato oracle module.

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 04:58:21 -0800

RMAN Users,
I am just getting started in RMAN and have a question about the recovery catalog that RMAN uses.

   Does it have to be an Oracle database that stores the information about the backup if you do not use the controlfile as the source of backup information? For safety and disaster recovery purposes it should reside on a different server than the database being backed up by RMAN. Does that not mean that the recovery catalog server should also be licensed by Oracle because you are using Oracle on another box? In the case where you have 1 server for Oracle and one for recovery then should you not have 2 licenses?
 I am looking for the reliable and cheap way to use RMAN for backups? Thanks,
Ron
ROR mª¿ªm

>>> Sujatha.Madan_at_cmc.cwo.net.au 05/28/02 08:23PM >>> Hi Mike,

I've been using the Legato/RMAN combination for a couple of years now. The
recovery catalog resides on the Legato Backup server. Once all the database
backups finish, we then do a cold backup of the recovery catalog database
straight to tape.

I don't know what others do, but this if you can afford downtime for your
recovery catalog db this is probably the best way to do it.

If you have enough disk space on your server, you actually don't need the
Legato plugin. Just dump the backups to disk and get the normal Legato Networker server backup pick them up onto tape.

Regards,

Sujatha

Author: Jenner Mike
  INET: M.Jenner_at_southampton.gov.uk

Author: Sujatha Madan
  INET: Sujatha.Madan_at_cmc.cwo.net.au

Author: Ron Rogers
  INET: RROGERS_at_galottery.org
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed May 29 2002 - 07:58:21 CDT