Re: Limited SORT_AREA_SIZE

From: <Brian_P_MacLean_at_efunds.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 12:24:28 -0800

There are limits to amount of memory a process can attach to. I have hit that wall with the size of the SGA from time to time. I would think that limit would be associated with the sort area also, sort_area + sga if you will. Take a look at document
http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showNot?p_id=1028623.6&p_font

 or just do a search on "sgabeg".

Brian P. MacLean
Oracle DBA, OCP8i

                      DENNIS WILLIAMS
                      <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETO        To:       Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                      UCH.COM>                 cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Limited SORT_AREA_SIZE
                      root_at_fatcity.com

                      05/28/02 09:53 AM
                      Please respond to
                      ORACLE-L

This weekend I was rebuilding a large table and when it came time to rebuild
the indexes, I cranked the SORT_AREA_SIZE up to 1/2 gig. It bombed off with an ORA-04030. I kept reducing the SORT_AREA_SIZE (bouncing the instance to make the change) until I got it down to 150-meg. Then everything ran fine. I
discussed this with my Unix system administrator and he felt everything was fine from his end. I ran Oracle's maxmem utility and received:

oracle.fin7>maxmem

Memory starts at: 5369596416 (1400d8a00)
Memory ends at:   6399795195 (17d751ffb)
Memory available: 1030198779 (3d6795fb)

So it seems like I could have SORT_AREA_SIZE much higher than 150-meg. The indexes built fine, but I am curious about the problem. Any ideas?

Oracle 8.1.6 (until Oracle gets a good 8.1.7 version) Compaq Tru64 4.0E
4-cpu.
4-gig. of system memory.
shared_pool_size = 400-meg
This is the only instance on this server.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com