Re: storage parameters

From: basher 59 <kb7yss_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 09:51:56 -0800

No. I can think of several reason when you would not wan them the save. An example: Think of load a lot of data into a table, and then load on a very limited basis. This tells me to create a large first extent that everything can fit into. Example: Say 100M and then you may want to make next extents 5M. Based on the fact that you won't be reaching the second extent for a while.

Also the temp tablespace is used to sort. I had an instance where the sorts were taking a long time. I looked at the temp tablespace and found out that my current sort was using 300 extents of a very small size. I increase my extent size to a large number, where the sort only took 4 extents and it really speeded up my sort. To optimize everything I look at the majority of my sorts and tried to make my first entent give me 90 % of these sorts. Which was somewhat small, and then I made my next extents large enough so my largest sort did not use more than about (5 to 10) extents.

MN

Author: basher 59
  INET: kb7yss_at_hotmail.com