RE: Database backup question.Thank You

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton_at_speakeasy.net>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 07:24:13 -0800

It is pretty easy to restore and recover a single table to an arbitrary point in time from a physical backup. I don't think Oracle needs to provide an extra feature.

You restore a small subset of the database (system, rollbacks and the tablespace with the table in it), offline drop the datafiles you didn't restore, and roll the "mini-clone" forward to the point in time you want.

Export/import the table from the "mini-clone" into the original database via named pipes.

Query flashback won't work past a certain timeframe, and it won't work on tables that have been mangled by DDL (drop/truncate). And you have to use server-managed undo to use query flashback.

Personally, there are a lot of queries the developers here have come up with that I have flashbacks of anyway, usually around 3 or 4 in the morning.

--
Jeremiah Wilton
http://www.speakeasy.net/~jwilton

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Jeremiah Wilton INET: jwilton_at_speakeasy.net Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).