RMAN: what if recovery catalog is lost?

From: Alexandre Gorbatchev <alexandre.gorbatchev_at_avermann.de>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 00:58:19 -0800

Hi,

That strange, but this has never come to my mind before. Ideally, the recovery catalog should be on other than production server (and it always was for me). And recovery catalog's database should be copied as well. Perhaps, using production database for recovery catalog. What if recovery catalog and production database crash at the same time and there is no way to recovery database with recovery catalog? I need the functionality of RMAN with recovery catalog, but I don't have separate server :( so I'm going to place it on the same server, but different database. I'm going to backup both databases symbiothically using each other as recovery catalog.
If something goes wrong and server crashes with both databases, I will have backup copies but no catalog.

>>Recovery scenarios:<<

--1. I could create empty recovery catalog and collect all information again with CATALOG comand, but this works only when target database is open. Right?

--2. Another possibility is to use RESYNC CATALOG FROM BACKUP CONTROL FILE should work fine, doesn't it? The only problem is that last structural changes are not available.

--3. I'm not sure about third scenario - recovery target database without recovery catalog with backups taken while recovere catalog existed.

I'm going to test this cases before set it up in production and I'd like to know about you experience in that area.

Thanks in advance.

Alexandre

Author: Alexandre Gorbatchev
  INET: alexandre.gorbatchev_at_avermann.de