Re: so when did you switch from NT to unix for oracle

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 15:53:28 -0800

OK, I'll bite...

A P4 can run circles around an Alpha? I think not...

The Intel processors are not winning the technical battle, but Intel Corporation is winning the battle with the bean-counters and the MBAs. In a world where CIOs seriously consider outsourcing the entire IT department of their company at every turn, what Intel is doing is using similar logic to convince its competitors that resistance is futile, and why not let us build your processors for you?

If technical prowess and long-term company viability were even a consideration at Compaq as opposed to showing near-term benefits to the financial bottom-line, would the Alpha product line have been sold to Intel? Since that company was considering acquisition by another that had already decided to scuttle it's own PA-RISC chip, what factors would you think influenced that decision? Is it a coincidence that the Alpha sale to Intel was announced some 60 days before the Compaq sale to HP?

Are the Alpha, PA-RISC, and PowerPC chips being scuttled because Intel chips are better, or because Intel chips are just nearly good enough? Have these manufacturers (Compaq, HP, and IBM) been convinced that the emphasis on differentiation between CPUs is "so 20th century", and why not focus on other things? Like finding other creative ways to squeeze worker productivity higher and make one's company more attractive to buyout...

Whoops! Better stop now...

  Maybe it's time to provoke a bit :-).

  Situation: I'm sitting here in Steve Adams' house (about 7 meters away from the IxOra server, which is SO small - just like the LITTLE mermaid in Copenhagen - very disappointing), and Anjo, Cary, Jonathan and the rest have gone to bed.

  Whiskies available on the oak table: Bowmore and Ardbeg.

  Provocative Thoughts (aimed at generating discussion, please): Basically a P4 processor can run circles round a Unix processor today (in other words: Unix processors are loosing the battle). A customer today would get most bang for the buck by bying Intel instead of Unix processors. The problem, of course, is that you can only choose between Windows and Linux on the Intel platform. If - this is no longer a choice - you could choose Solaris on Intel, you would get so much bang for the buck that nothing could compete with it. If Intel could handle many processors that would be interesting, too.

  I think Unix processors are dying. I didn't like it when VMS died (because it's the best operating system that was ever built). But it died. Now what?

  Mogens

  Hemant K Chitale wrote:

Aah ! You _are_ looking at moving out of NT.Why I don't think it is an enterprise class platform 1. Much poorer memory management [2GB, memory leaks etc]than Unix. 2. Cannot scale beyond 4 CPUs.I AM surprised that you run a 450 users SAPapplication on 4CPU, 2GB on NT. Try that withOracle Applications ! 3. Any patch (e.g. the security patches that come outfrom Microsoft) requires a reboot of the server. I canunderstand OS patches requiring a Unix reboot but apatch to MSIE/Outlook/IIS on the same NT-box as thedatabase requiring a reboot of the server ? Unacceptable. 4. I don't know how good Online Backups are on NT.Hemant K Chitalehttp://hkchital.tripod.com----- Original Message -----To: "Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L" <ORACLE-L@fa tcity.com>Sent: Saturday, 25 May, 2002 4:33 AM 1) Not pulling any legs. That's what we run.2) We have a few reasons to switch to another platform.I'm lobbying for Solaris with Veritas Database Edition. Manygood reasons for doing so, but I'm beginning to have mydoubts about financing it.One of our current projects is to put in place an enterpriseclass backup and recovery system. The current one is lackingin several respects.One of damagement's questions: "What happens if we do nothing?"Another was "What's the ROI?"PHB's abound.JaredOn Friday 24 May 2002 08:03, Hemant K Chitale wrote: No way ! You're pulling a lot of legs[and hurting a lot of egos who take pride inpointing out that NT is _not_ an enterprise-classplatform, me included].Hemant K Chitale----- Original Message -----To: "Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L" <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>Sent: Friday, 24 May, 2002 8:00 AM How about 250 Gig, 450 users on SAP 4.0B?4 Cpu's 2 Gig Ram.Stop making me defend NT!!Jared"Disser, Arno" <a.disser_at_sfs.nl>Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com05/23/2002 10:23 AMPlease respond to ORACLE-L To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>

        cc: Subject: RE: so when did you switch from NT to unix for oracle
Here are my 0.02EURTurn this reasoning around: Why would anyone use NT for a serious Oracle

DB-server?Okay, for some minor development perhaps, but for an productionenvironment?b.t.w., ever considered a switch to VMS?Arno Disser--Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com--Author: Disser, Arno  INET: a.disser@sfs.nlFat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists--------------------------------------------------------------------To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: ListGuru@fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you
want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).--Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com--Author:  INET: Jared.Still@radisys.comFat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists--------------------------------------------------------------------To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: ListGuru@fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You mayalso send the HELP command for ot
her information (like subscribing).

--Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com--Author: Jared Still INET: jkstill@cybcon.comFat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists--------------------------------------------------------------------To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto: ListGuru@fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You mayalso send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon May 27 2002 - 18:53:28 CDT