Re: so when did you switch from NT to unix for oracle

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 08:23:20 -0800

Aah ! You _are_ looking at moving out of NT. Why I don't think it is an enterprise class platform

  1. Much poorer memory management [2GB, memory leaks etc] than Unix.
  2. Cannot scale beyond 4 CPUs. I AM surprised that you run a 450 users SAP application on 4CPU, 2GB on NT. Try that with Oracle Applications !
  3. Any patch (e.g. the security patches that come out from Microsoft) requires a reboot of the server. I can understand OS patches requiring a Unix reboot but a patch to MSIE/Outlook/IIS on the same NT-box as the database requiring a reboot of the server ? Unacceptable.
  4. I don't know how good Online Backups are on NT.

Hemant K Chitale
http://hkchital.tripod.com
Author: Hemant K Chitale
  INET: hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg