Re: Media Recovery needed

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 17:43:20 -0800

On 2002.05.25 19:48 Simon Waibale wrote:
> Hi all,
> In dire need of help right now -leave all that U R doing and help!!
> Hot Backup process cancelled and while re-starting the DB, following
> errors
> occur:
>
> 1)ORA-00304: requested INSTANCE_NUMBER is busy
>
> 2) IF I set INSTANCE_NUMBER=2, then I get
> ORA-01113: file 5 needs media recovery
> ORA-01110: data file 5: '/data1/oradata/flag/userdata01.dbf'

Startup the database into the mount mode, check whether your file is in the backup
mode (v$backup, status='ACTIVE') and, if it is, try something like ALTER DATABSE DATAFILE 5 END BACKUP;
If this is successfull, your problem is solved.

Otherwise, you need to have a hot backup and all archives at hand. It may take
much less then 2 hours. You will have to: a) Restore the hot backup to /data1/oradata/flag/userdata01.dbf. b) Restore all the archives since the hot backup was taken (take a look into the v$archived_log,

    there is a column called "first_time", which tells you when was the first change in the log file

    committed.) into a directory (let's call it "/arch") c) Startup the database in the mount mode.

d) Issue the folowing commands:

    ALTER SYSTEM SET LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST='/arch';     SET AUTORECOVERY ON
e) Recover the database by using the following command:

    RECOVER DATABASE; When you get the rely "Media Recovery complete.", type 'ALTER DATABASE OPEN;'
and you are done.

--
Mladen Gogala
Author: Mladen Gogala