Re: Diagnose Slow System--OraPerf

From: <dlorraine_at_ucdavis.edu>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 16:28:25 -0800

After seeing the original post and replies, I checked out the analyzer at oraperf.com, as I am having performance problems for the first time since becoming a DBA for our student information system. Over time, we've gone from 7.3.4 to 8.1.7.3 64-bit, from sequent to Sun Solaris, from 800-1200 users...underlying application changes (more database packages and procedures), and never really been tuned! I think our server upgrades have masked the database tuning issues, until we get a busy period, then it shows!

Anyway, the analyzer had some recommendations I put in place this weekend (my only opportunity to bounce the db) and I will be evaluating the impact these changes on performance next week...however, one recommendation that puzzles me is to make my redo logs 9765 MB! I have two groups of 20. Last weekend I doubled their size from 50 to 100 MB, but 9765 MB?! I am getting errors in the alert log that indicate slow archiving of redo logs, "Failed to archive..." but them a minute or so later it is archived. This change made no difference in the number of Failures reported. I am hoping the log_buffer change recommended by the oraperf analyzer will help, but can anyone comment on that redo log size recommendation? I ran a variety of statspack reports through and all said the same thing!

Thanks,

Debi

> short answer: yes
>
> oraperf is written/run by Anjo Kolk, father of the tuning by wait event
> methodology. I would tend to trust his suggestions for tuning
> opportunities. Would I not also investigate on my own? No. I know my
> apps, he doesn't unless he's come onsite. But oraperf can give me some
> generic guidelines and places to start looking
>

> --- Greg Moore <sqlgreg_at_pacbell.net> wrote:
> > > the YAPP analyzer at www.oraperf.com anyways..
> >
> > The last part of the oraperf report has suggestions for items to
> > investigate
> > and tune. Is oraperf really good at spotting the key tuning
> > opportunities?
> >

> > --
> > --
> > Author: Greg Moore
> > INET: sqlgreg_at_pacbell.net

> > San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing
> > Lists

> http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
> Author: Rachel Carmichael
> INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com