Re: Bitmap vs btree - how to tell? how to test?

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 14:28:21 -0800

On 2002.05.25 17:38 Rachel Carmichael wrote:
> low cardinality -- good candidate for bitmap. little or no updates to
> the column being indexed -- good candidate for bitmap
>
> "low" cardinality is relative -- 10,000 distinct values in a 300m row
> table is low, 100 distinct values in a 10K row table might be high
>
> but the main criteria I have found is whether or not the column is
> updated because when you update the values in a bitmap index, it's not
> just the one row in the index that is updated but the entire segment
> of
> the bitmap. And THAT can lock the index on you.
>
> Rachel

Well, it doesn't exactly lock the whole index, it locks only the rows that
have the same bitmap value as the row that is being updated. For a low cardinality
column, that may mean locking down a significant portion of the index (and the underlying
table, of course). That makes bitmap indexes (and indices) completely unsuitable
for the OLTP environment.

--
Mladen Gogala
Author: Mladen Gogala