RE: Database backup question.

From: Steve McClure <smcclure_at_usscript.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 10:23:32 -0800

I don't understandy why you would switch to and from archivelog mode. You can establish a complete cold backup with your datafiles, control files, and online redo logs. Actually you don't need the online redo logs, but that used to be the case so I always back those up as well. Shut your DB down
(normal), and back these files up. That is a complete cold backup.

You certainly could place your database in archivelog mode, and still back it up with cold backups. In this scenario you just add the archived logs to your list of files to back up. The only valid reason I can think of for switching between modes would be to avoid excessive archival resulting from very large processes. If you have room to archive logs you should consider leaving your DB in archivelog mode. Your odds of having a satisfying recovery scenario are greatly improved that way.

Steve McClure
Author: Steve McClure
  INET: smcclure_at_usscript.com