RE: Statistical sampling and representative stats collection

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 16:43:26 -0800

Well, if the temp had any brains, the job should take less than an hour.

Maybe your temp employee was hoping for a promotion to damagement, in which case the job would take days.

Jared

"Jamadagni, Rajendra" <Rajendra.Jamadagni_at_espn.com> Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com
05/22/2002 08:53 AM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Statistical sampling and representative stats collection

I remember, in 96/97, I was working on a Oracle 7 database and none of the this sample() was available. My task was to select x people out of z number
of people randomly. We hired a temp, who took Dallas/Fort Worth dictionary
(I was working in that area) and counted (yes counted) number of people
whose last names started with A and B and so on.

We put this information into a table and then found out percentage of last names starting with A compared to the whole list for each letter. This percentage was used as weightage for each letter when choosing random samples from a list of people. Then I used this weightage and dbms_random to
pick the required number of names from our database. It was fun to implement, but I feel bad for the temp who had to count the names.

So, compared to that, 8i and 9i built-in features rock !! Raj

Rajendra Jamadagni                               MIS, ESPN Inc.
Rajendra dot Jamadagni at ESPN dot com
Any opinion expressed here is personal and doesn't reflect that of ESPN Inc.

QOTD: Any clod can have facts, but having an opinion is an art!

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com