Re: Oracle and OpenVMS (was: Rename Column in 9iR2)

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 08:33:51 -0800

Rich,
  I thank you for the heads up. I have read the install and release notes for Oracle on OpenVMS and will approach with a lot of caution. I am very familiar with the Unix world commands and expected actions but, the OpenVMS commands I have to learn and try to understand before I attempt the install. We have 2 boxes and 1 disk farm to use. One box will be the development server and the other server will be production. I have the advantage of learning with the development install first to correct any errors in my install.
 Do you have any suggested links or doc's that would be of help or guidance?
Thanks,
Ron
ROR mª¿ªm

>>> Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com 05/23/02 11:33AM >>> As a side note, please please please become familiar with OpenVMS and more
importantly Oracle on OpenVMS before tackling this. At least as far up as
8i, Oracle has really done themselves a disservice by bastardizing their own
install on OpenVMS. There is no OFA on OpenVMS. It is VERY difficult to
create and maintain a database without using Oracle's horrid scripts. Oracle refuses to recognize VMS logicals in the DB (although you can fool
it). And do NOT use OpenVMS if you need MTS because it simply does not
work, even in 9i (see the Midrange forum on MetaClink).

I'm saying this and I'm a huge fan of VMS. I've been working with it since
v4.7 and haven't seen an OS that compares. HOWEVER, for some unknown reason, companies that produce software on multiple platforms tend to screw
up their VMS installs. I have no idea why. I've been working in Unix for
four or five years now and just don't understand why people in the Unix/Winders world make OpenVMS so difficult! It's EASY!

</soapbox>

VMS (whoops..."OpenVMS") gets a bad rap because of poor marketing, and a
poor understanding of how VMS works by the people that develop on it and/or
manage the systems. Hell, my OpenVMS box here that's running 4 Oracle 8.0.5
instances has had 5 minutes of down time in the past 716 days. And that
downtime was due to a network failure. Five "9"s, baby, and then some!

Woah...once again, DBA need beer.

Enjoy! :)

Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com              Quad/Tech International, Sussex,
WI USA

Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

Author: Ron Rogers