Re:Data Warehouse Hardware Recommendations

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 06:58:34 -0800

Mary,

    We've been very happy with our mix of HP-9000 series UNIX servers and EMC disk arrays. Right now the 1TB warehouse is running on a K570 with 4 processors and 2 GB of RAM. The server supports two database instances with no problems. We're going to upgrade to a L2000 4 way class machine in the next 2 months for support reasons only.. One recommendation though, If you go with EMC storage buy their PowerPath product. Yes it is more money, but there is one heck of a disk io performance increase not to mention that it makes the server and array much more fault tolerant.

Dick Goulet

Author: "Mark Brooks" <mark_at_foxhillgroup.com>
Date:       5/22/2002 8:08 PM

Our data warehouse box is nearing it's max capacity so we are looking for options for an upgrade. The current box is maxed out so it will be a forklift upgrade. Since we are less than satisfied with our current vendor we are open to changing platforms. I don't want to mention the current vendor so as not to prejudice any suggestions. What I would like to know is what hardware (server and storage) folks are using for their data warehouse. We are projecting our system to be around 10TB by the end of this year with continued growth (3-5yr) projected at 70TB.

Thanks

MB

Author: Mark Brooks
  INET: mark_at_foxhillgroup.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu May 23 2002 - 09:58:34 CDT