RE: Do you ever have days where you dont want to think ?

From: Freeman, Robert <Robert_Freeman_at_csx.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 08:33:32 -0800

How does one get on the OT list???

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:Rachel_Carmichael_at_Sonymusic.com] Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 10:23 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

as one of the women in this profession, do I want to know who you consider "honorary men"? :)

What I do want to know is how you determine what the criteria are for being an
"honorary man".

Inquiring minds want to know :)

Rachel

|--------+----------------------->

| | |
| | |
| | sfaroult_at_orio|
| | le.com |
| | |
| | 05/18/2002 |
| | 11:13 AM |
| | Please |
| | respond to |
| | ORACLE-L |
| | |
|--------+-----------------------> >----------------------------------------------------| | | | To: ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com | | cc: (bcc: Rachel Carmichael) | | Subject: Re: Do you ever have days where | | you dont want to think ? | >----------------------------------------------------|

Larry Elkins wrote:

> The beach part sounds great, though I don't care to see naked men running
> around ;-)

 That's the problem in this job. Too many men. And among women, too many are like honorary men.

Still preaching the gospel, as you can see :-). In fact, I would be curious to compare the join on the inline-view with a MINUS to the hash anti-join. Assuming all correct indexes, it is comparing two index fast full scans plus sort plus index search to two table full scans (more or less). I am almost certain that many costs could be put into equations. The problem is if you have too many values (number of rows, number of rows returned, storage, selectivity, etc...) to feed into your equations or have trouble deriving these it is not of much use. Wanted to do some tests on reverse indexes, following your posts, but I have not had time. Not much progress on the book PL/SQL chapter either. Currently working on real-time, home-made replication (which works on the standard edition, BTW). Still revolving around the same topics because one of my concerns is to minimize overhead when logging (trigger-happy replication, I am suspicious of the Shareplex approach and anyway as I want to be able to replicate between France, Japan and the US, I cannot afford to transfer full redo logs and transactions I shall have to rollback). I log into several tables (enough info to rebuild statements, and values separately - with additional problems when we reach the 4,000 characters mark), IOTs are the obvious choice but I am not sure it is available with all licenses. Degradation of my logs over timeis also something I have to watch. This is for the days. Evenings are spent improving an intelligent loader able to take into account complex FK relationships. I have prepared two 5,000,000 row tables, one in my 8.1.7 database and one in my 9.0.1 database, but I have not tested anything yet.
I had a flash of idiocy and subscribed to the OT list (out of the blues). I doubt I will stay long here. Some people seems to be paid doing nothing but e-mailing. Is this where you got the details about Pierce? Pretty active there.

Cheers,

Stephane Faroult

Author: Stephane Faroult
  INET: sfaroult_at_oriole.com

  INET: Rachel_Carmichael_at_Sonymusic.com

Author: Freeman, Robert
  INET: Robert_Freeman_at_csx.com