Re:MTS questions

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 10:08:40 -0800

Jared,

    If you look in V$process and V$session you'll see that there are only a limited number of processes and that as you surmised the dispatcher points back to the idle sessions it is dealing with. Now if the session becomes active that changes to the shared server doing the work. And if the session connects via dedicated server, from yesterday's thread, then it's as you know it today without MTS.

Dick Goulet

Author: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com
Date:       5/17/2002 9:13 AM

Hey list,

It's been awhile since I've used MTS, and some questions have come up regarding it.

The question revolves around sniped sessions, and the need to remove these things automatically in some systems, since they consume resources. Such as a DW where sessions may not be created very frequently.

Doing this with dedicated servers is no problem.

Doing so with MTS is another matter. When I kill a sniped session, I first kill the OS process ( or thread ) and then kill the session, if it is
still around. I kill the OS process first due to an infamous problem with Oracle. When you kill a session that is holding locks, there's a chance that this session will never go away until the DB is bounced. And it continues to hold the lock until the DB is bounced.

I've had this happen on multiple versions of Oracle, on Solaris, DG/UX and Windoze NT.

The question is: What is the process that appears in V$PROCESS for an idle session that is connected via MTS? I'm guessing it's the dispatcher. I don't have anyway to check this however.

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jared

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri May 17 2002 - 13:08:40 CDT