Re: Dedicated Server versus Shared Server

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 10:40:08 -0800

Yup! Easy to prove...

In one SQL*Plus session, connect as MTS and verify shared connection...

        $ sqlplus perfstat

        SQL*Plus: Release 8.0.6.0.0 - Production on Thu May 16 11:20:52 2002

        (c) Copyright 1999 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

        Enter password:

        Connected to:
        Oracle8 Enterprise Edition Release 8.0.6.2.0 - Production
        With the Partitioning and Objects options
        PL/SQL Release 8.0.6.2.0 - Production

        SQL> select server from v$session where audsid =
userenv('SESSIONID');
        SERVER
        ---------
        SHARED

        SQL> exec dbms_lock.sleep(60);

        SQL>

During the 60 seconds when DBMS_LOCK.SLEEP(60) was "running", I connected via INTERNAL in another session and ran the following query...

        SQL> select     s.sid,
          2     s.username,
          3     c.queue c_queue,
          4     c.status c_status,
          5     ss.name ss_name,
          6     ss.status ss_status
          7  from       v$shared_server ss,
          8     v$circuit c,
          9     v$session s
         10  where      s.username = 'PERFSTAT'
         11  and        c.saddr = s.saddr
         12  and        ss.paddr (+) = c.server;

               SID USERNAME                       C_QUEUE          C_STATUS
        ---------- ------------------------------ ---------------- ---------
-------
        SS_NA SS_STATUS
        ----- ----------------
               448 PERFSTAT                       SERVER           NORMAL
        S000  EXEC

I kept running this while the DBMS_LOCK.SLEEP was going, and it showed shared server S000 tied up. When the call completed, the outer-join to V$SHARED_SERVER showed nothing...

> Tim,

> If I understood this correctly, you are saying that a DBMS_LOCK.SLEEP(600)
> call
> would tie up an MTS shared server for 10 minutes causing other sessions
> connected to it
> to hang for 10 minutes?
>

> Jared
>

> "Tim Gorman" <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>