RE: trouble importing

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 10:22:36 -0800

Bill - You don't say whether your system has multiple CPUs. That will SERIOUSLY affect the advantage from multiple import jobs. You will have to experiment with the number of import jobs that seem to produce the greatest overall performance.

        You can have multiple import jobs read the same import file. Obviously you must divide the work somehow between them so they don't all try to load the same records, either divide based on user or table. If you divide by table, you end up specifying each table, kind of a hassle.

        Since import is doing a lot of disk work, you can speed it up by carefully selecting the disk drives for the dump file and the Oracle files so they don't step on each other. This is the real advantage for having multiple copies of your dump file or multiple dump files.

        A better idea is to go back and do the export again, specifying separate export files for the largest tables. Since export is so much faster than import, this shouldn't delay your overall project by much.

I would encourage you to consider alternatives to import. In order of speed, I have found the following to be true:

  1. Clone the database. Basically the speed of your tape/disk drives. The only reason you might not want to do this is if the machines are different.
  2. Transportable tablespaces. Like cloning, but by tablespace rather than the entire database.
  3. Use the SQL*Net COPY command. I've found this to be about twice as fast as import. You can run multiple processes here also.
  4. Export/Import
  5. SQL*Plus - forget it!

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Magaliff, Bill
  INET: Bill.Magaliff_at_lendware.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

Author: Magaliff, Bill
  INET: Bill.Magaliff_at_lendware.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu May 16 2002 - 13:22:36 CDT