Unsetting OPTIMAL in rollback segments

From: <Cherie_Machler_at_gelco.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 08:45:44 -0800

We are getting the following error in our alert log for a database where we are doing some unusually large transactions:

Wed May 15 03:26:22 2002
Failure to extend rollback segment 27 because of 1581 condition FULL status of rollback segment 27 set.

On Metalink I've found a couple of references to bug 228441. Following is one such reference. Sounds like one part of the work-around is to unset OPTIMAL which we do currently have set. I've looked through the docs and Metalink. I do see text for altering the OPTIMAL value but I don't see any reference to "unsetting" OPTIMAL. Is there a way to unset optimal in rollback segments that are currently online? Or do I have to create a bunch of new rollback segments from scratch without OPTIMAL specified and then roll them in and roll out the existing rollback segments.

Thanks,

Cherie Machler
Oracle DBA
Gelco Information Network

                                                                 From: Oracle, Tom Villane
                                                                 21-Sep-01 21:20
                                                                 Subject: Re : ORA-01581, but
                                                                 seem to have more than enough
                                                                 space

                                                                 Hi,

                                                                 The ORA-01581 is not normally
                                                                 seen in Oracle8. Bug 228441 has
                                                                 an explanation of why it can
                                                                 happen.
                                                                 "This can happen when we are
                                                                 trying to extend a rollback
                                                                 segment. We try to extend the
                                                                 rollback segment when we cannot
                                                                 wrap into the next extent and
                                                                 we are near the end of the
                                                                 current extent. When we try to
                                                                 allocate the new extent we
                                                                 generate undo, in addition,
                                                                 space management may generate
                                                                 undo to do a coalesce. If the
                                                                 amount of undo we generate
                                                                 cannot fit in the current
                                                                 extent we will get a 1581 as we
                                                                 are now trying to use the
                                                                 extent that we are trying to
                                                                 add."

                                                                 Suggestions for resolving the
                                                                 problems are to make the
                                                                 INITIAL EXTENTS a large number
                                                                 ( maybe even set minextents =
                                                                 maxextents), and unset OPTIMAL

                                                                 Regards
                                                                 Tom Villane
                                                                 Oracle Support Metalink Analyst

  INET: Cherie_Machler_at_gelco.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed May 15 2002 - 11:45:44 CDT