v$tempfile and v$temp_space_header

From: Erroba, Ildefonso N <Erroba.Ildefonso_at_emeryworld.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 18:18:22 -0800

Join between v$tempfile and v$temp_space_header returns no row. I have observed this behaviour on 8.1.7.2 and 9.0.1.0

Why would a join to v$temp_space_header with v$tempfile or v$tempstat returns zero row with or without a predicate. Here are some examples. 17:59:41 REPADMIN_at_TST0(11)> select * from v$temp_space_header; -- to show that it has a record.

TABLESPACE_NAME

FILE_ID BYTES_USED BLOCKS_USED BYTES_FREE
==================== ==================== ====================

BLOCKS_FREE RELATIVE_FNO
==================== ====================
TEMP
1 3145728 384 38797312
4736 1

18:01:28 REPADMIN_at_TST0(11)> select a.file#, b.file# from v$tempfile a, v$tempstat b; -- returns one row, a similar join between v$tempfile and v$temp_space_header doesn't, WHY???

FILE# FILE#
=== ===
1 1

18:06:22 REPADMIN_at_TST0(11)> select a.file#, b.file_id from v$tempfile a, v$temp_space_header b;

no rows selected

With predicate

1 select a.file#, b.file_id from v$tempfile a, v$temp_space_header b 2* where a.file# = b.file_id

no rows selected

1 row selected.

I even pass the file# and file_id to the ascii function after querying both tables independently, both returned with a value of 49.

  1* select ascii(file_id) from v$temp_space_header

      ASCII(FILE_ID)

                  49

17:55:49 SYS_at_WW4T(12)> select ascii(file#) from v$tempfile;

        ASCII(FILE#)

                  49

Any explaination would be greatly appreciated.

Jun Erroba
Oracle DBA
Menlo Worldwide Technologies
Author: Erroba, Ildefonso N
  INET: Erroba.Ildefonso_at_emeryworld.com