Zero-term'd machine in V$SESSION from Winders

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 12:23:21 -0800

So, there I am, creating a "special" kill user script (don't ask) for one of our instances, 8.1.6.0.0 on Solaris. The problem is that some of the output rows were getting truncated on the output. Here's the proc I had started:

        CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE Euthanize AS

        v_printline VARCHAR2(140);

	CURSOR c_sessions IS
		SELECT vs.username, vs.osuser,

--
--REPLACE(vs.machine,CHR(0),NULL) "MACHINE",
vs.machine,

After compiling this, I called it from SQL*Plus using "execute euthanize;".

I noticed that all the DBMS_OUTPUT lines that were truncated were sessions from Windohs workstations. Examining a SELECT DUMP(machine) FROM V$SESSION showed that all of the MACHINE columns from Windohs sessions were zero-terminated. No other client (Solaris) was.

Since the output from DBMS_OUTPUT is being prematurely truncated by this zero-term'd field, the workaround is to either move the problem field to the end of the output line, or to use the REPLACE function, as I've commented out in the above code. The latter is necessary if there is more than one bastardized field like this or if the order of the columns in the output is important.

Can anyone reproduce this? The particular clients I found with the problem are 8.1.7.

TIA!

Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com              Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA
Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com