Re: Redo log files questions. Solved

From: Meomeo Nguyen <meomeo22_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 14:43:23 -0800

 Hi All,
Finally, I have successfully had the automatic archiving turned on.  My problem was I modified the wrong parameter file. Thus that caused the automatic archival DISABLED.
Regards,

Trang
  Meomeo Nguyen <meomeo22_at_yahoo.com> wrote: Hi,
Thanks for all the replies. I am still unable to archive my redo logs in order to back them up. When startup the database I then enter archive log list;
It shows archiving information for the coonected instance:
Database log mode       ARCHIVELOG
automatic archival        DISABLED
Archive destination      /Disk01/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/dbs/arch (Please note: there is no arch directory or files in this path)
oldes online log sequence     1629

next log sequence to archive 1631
current log sequence number 1631
Please note: I did uncomment the log_archive_start=true in the init.ora file. How do I set archiving destination with log_archive_dest and log archive format. Below is the information from my init.ora. I have not uncommented these two paths yet. log_archive_dest =disk$rdbms:[oracle.archive] (Please note: if I set archiving destination log_archive_dest='/Disk05/arc', how do I alter the parameter for the below log_archive_format? ) log_archive_format = "T%TS%S.ARC" in the init.ora file. Please anyone direct me how to make it work. I do need your help badly. Thanks in advance.
Trang
  Gene Sais <Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us> wrote: You probably received an error in your alert log and Oracle disabled archiving. Make sure yuou have these 3 parameters in your init.ora and set accordingly:
log_archive_dest = /oracle/data/arc//
log_archive_format = _%s.arc
log_archive_start = true

hth,
Gene

>>> meomeo22_at_yahoo.com 05/10/02 06:08PM >>>

I did switch a database's archiving mode from NOARCHIVELOG to ARCHIVELOG. I then enabled automatic archiving of filled groups by setting

log_archive_start=true

in the database's parameter file. Finally I used

alter system archive log start;

to enable automatic archiving of filled online redo log group without shutting down the current instance. For some reason, when using the SQL*Plus statement

archive log list;

it shows the archiving information for the connected instance:

! ! database log mode ARCHIVELOG

automatic archival ENABLED

..........etc

But when I shutdown immediate then startup the instance with database open, I then issue the

archive log list; this time the

automatic archival DISABLED. Anyone came across this problem and had a fix. Please direct me how to fix it. I just wanted to archive online logs to multiple locations, then back up the archived logs. Please help.

Thanks in advance. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Trang

Do You Yahoo!?
Author: Gene Sais
INET: Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us