Re: data warehousing desing - to denormalize or not to denormaliz

From: Henry Poras <hporas_at_attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 15:28:41 -0800

>From what I remember, one of the main advantages of a normalized database is
a certain level of data integrity and flexibility. The integrity comes from foreign keys, lack of duplicate data, and generally a data design based on characteristics of the data. The flexibility comes from the ablility to query in many different ways (you are not restricted as you are in a heirarchical db). Though I have never designed a data warehouse, I always thought that the integrety piece would be less of an issue. Since there are very few writes to a warehouse, there is less chance to fowl up the data integrity as long as there are good controls on the load. Flexibility on querying a warehouse seems to also be possible using other design methods (fact tables, snowflake, ...)

Henry

> Let's see . . . disadvantages . . . hmmm. scorn of anyone that understands
> data warehousing? On your resume putting "created a completely normalized
> DW" and wondering why everyone giggles when they read it.
>
> Actually, a normalized schema will probably use less space than
> denormalized.
> The key point is your users. A typical normalized design means a lot of
> tables. These tables must be joined in specific manners. Non-I.S. users
find
> this intimidating. So they don't use it. So you've spent a lot of time
> creating a DW only to have nobody use it.
> Normalized schemas are optimized for inserts and updates, not
> generating reports. To generate a report from an OLTP normalized schema,
you
> usually start by interviewing the developers. And they usually have to do
> some research. A DW is a "write mostly" schema. Our DW is only refreshed
> weekly. Sunday is spent loading it and Monday the users charge in and run
> reports all day.
> Study star schema. Go to http://www.ralphkimball.com and read
> articles he has written, starting with the oldest ones and working
forward.
> Read Ralph Kimball's book "The Data Warehouse Toolkit: Practical
Techniques

Author: Henry Poras
  INET: hporas_at_attbi.com