Re: data warehousing desing - to denormalize or not to denormalize - that

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 13:19:38 -0800

The distinction between a data mart and a data warehouse is not size ("Size doesn't matter"). It just works out that way usually...

The distinction between a DM and a DW is its function within the entire decision-support strategy. A data warehouse is the consolidation point for all data from all sources. Data marts are downstream breakouts, subsets of that consolidated data for specific business functions, optimized for end-user access. There a situations where a data mart can exceed the data warehouse in size (usually due to different data retention requirements), but a data mart is by definition focused on one specific business topic or area whereas the contents of a data warehouse encompass the entire enterprise, across all business areas. Usually, this means the DW is larger than any of the many possible DMs, but it is not a requirement that this be so. Another common distinction between a data mart and a data warehouse is political. If the accounting department ponies up money for a decision-support strategy but the marketing department does not, then you are unlikely to have anything that can be referred to as a data warehouse. Hence, the popularity of data marts...

The third major component of a decision-support strategy is the operational data store (ODS), which is largely understood to be a "staging" area during extraction, transformation, and loading into the data warehouse from the operational source systems. But, depending on requirements, an ODS can also be utilized as a consolidation point for data for unified "tactical" reporting, possibly to offload the operational systems. For example, consider the example of a company that runs Peoplesoft financials that acquires another one company that runs Lawson financials, another company that runs Oracle financials, and a third company that runs Quickbooks for financials. How is these folks going to get consolidated tactical (not strategic) financial reporting? One option is to utilize the first step of the decision-support strategy. As the data is staged on it's way to the data warehouse and the financial data mart after that, why not allow the consolidated data to be reported upon from the "staging area" in the ODS? Yet another use of the ODS (besides "staging" for transformation from operational to DSS data models and offloading tactical reporting) is possible archival of transactional data, when the source system does not support archival. For example, most legacy systems and quite a few "modern" software packages never dealt with the issue of archival. Rather than trying to modify each individual source system for archival, why not archive at the consolidation point, in the ODS?

Sorry for the long-winded insertion into this thread, but I just wanted to add that little change of perspective...

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com