Re: Oracle Diagnostic and Tuning Packs

From: <Cherie_Machler_at_gelco.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 08:58:35 -0800

Peter,

I guess it depends on whether you have any other monitoring and/or performance tuning tools that you use. If you do, there may be quite a bit of duplication of features provided. If you don't have any other automated tools that provide performance monitoring and tuning capabilities, these have a large number of features and capabilities that the base OEM doesn't offer.

One thing that I should note is that we decided not to implement the enhanced monitoring capabilities because we had to have a modem in order to implement the paging option. Our company does not have modems internally, for security reasons.

So we are not using OEM as fully as we could and are licensed for.

Another thing I should note is that I have heard that OEM starts to degrade when large numbers of nodes are monitored. So if you have a large number of databases, etc. to monitor (I think the documntation states more than 50), you need to design a heavy-duty implementation and give it some real thought. You might also need to pass on OEM if you have a really large network.

I would suggest that you load it up and do a small prototype on a test database. It should only take a couple of days to check it out. If the features look promising, you could do a larger test involving more databases and more people.

Cherie Machler
Oracle DBA
Gelco Information Network

                    "Schauss, Peter"
                    <SCHAUPE_at_mail.nort       To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    hgrum.com>               cc:
                    Sent by:                 Subject:     Oracle Diagnostic and Tuning Packs
                    root_at_fatcity.com

                    05/10/02 10:58 AM
                    Please respond to
                    ORACLE-L