Re[2]: Improving Oracle Performance

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 06:18:21 -0800

Sankar,

  1. How many indexes does this table have?
  2. How many rows currently exist?
  3. Are there ANY triggers on this table?
  4. Are there any column constraints other than NOT NULL?
  5. Is there a foreign key on from this table to another?
  6. How many rows are in the master table, if applicable?
  7. Are the data and index tablespaces one and the same?
  8. Are the data and index tablespaces on the same disk drive?
  9. Are there other applications trying to update/delete from/insert to this table at the same time?
  10. Do any of those applications explicitly lock the table? (lock <table> in exclusive mode;)

Dick Goulet

Author: Greg Moore <sqlgreg_at_pacbell.net>
Date:       5/9/2002 2:58 PM

Sankar,

For starters,

SQL> set autotrace trace explain

Now run your SQL and you'll get an explain plan.

Send another email to the list showing both: the SQL statement, and the explain plan. These may reveal your problem quickly.

Author: Greg Moore
  INET: sqlgreg_at_pacbell.net

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com