RE: optimizer not using function based indexes

From: <Rachel_Carmichael_at_Sonymusic.com>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 13:55:35 -0800

and stats have to have been collected on the index and base table as well

just checked the 9i docs... I was wrong you do need the upper on the column, my bad.. but you need the stats, the compatibility set (as Beth says)

|--------+-------------------------->

| | |
| | |
| | Beth.Seefelt_at_tet|
| | leyusa.com |
| | |
| | 05/09/2002 05:24|
| | PM |
| | Please respond |
| | to ORACLE-L |
| | |

Another requirement is that your compatibility init.ora parameter must be set to 8.1.7 or higher, I believe, but check the doco.

If that doesn't fix it, then trying using a hint to force the use of that index. If it doesn't work with the hint, then you know you have an environment problem that is preventing the use of function-based indexes. If it does work with the hint, then you know that function based is working but you have to figure out why the optimizer is not choosing it.

HTH, Beth

Author: Harvinder Singh
  INET: Harvinder.Singh_at_MetraTech.com

Author: Seefelt, Beth
  INET: Beth.Seefelt_at_TetleyUSA.com

  INET: Rachel_Carmichael_at_Sonymusic.com