RE: Intermedia Text & Oracle 8.1.7.3

From: James Howerton <jhowerton_at_uabmc.edu>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 08:28:35 -0800

Dennis,

I'm not sure I understand you're question? They are not storing pointers; the word docs are inserted into the table's long raw column. This company is doing good to keep the alligators off of their butt on a daily basis. They don't have time(money) to re-code the Java app for a blob data type. I don't think they will change until the customer base forces them. I would like blobs so I can hash partition and take advantage of some parallel operations.
...JIM... >>> DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM 5/9/02 10:08:28 AM >>> Jim - Just out of curiosity, what advantages do you expect them to receive?
I assume that they are currently storing pointers in the database to disk
files where the data resides. How much performance hit do you expect? Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: James Howerton
  INET: jhowerton_at_uabmc.edu

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM

Author: James Howerton
  INET: jhowerton_at_uabmc.edu
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu May 09 2002 - 11:28:35 CDT