RE: Good DBA vs. Bad DBA

From: Conboy, Jim <Jim.Conboy_at_trw.com>
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 12:13:23 -0800

So those who refuse advancement and later feel differently, if they find themselves tainted at their current company they move on. I'm not sure I see the difference from what you did.

The best places I've worked have been those that didn't automatically view a management job as a promotion. I've seen senior techies working for mid-level managers, where the techie outranked the manager (based on job codes) and made more money. In theory, the manager might be able to force demands onto the tech guy. But in practice that attempt would simply end the arrangement, with the manager likely the loser.

The top manager (CEO) will always outrank the top tech by a wide margin, but there are plenty of career managers who will never outearn or outrank the top techies.

Jim

Author: Conboy, Jim
  INET: Jim.Conboy_at_trw.com